Recipe contributed by our friend Miss Hangry Pants.
Matcha Watermelon Layer Cake (makes 1 5-inch Cake)
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup almond finely ground meal (plus more)
- 2 scoops of PANATEA Ceremonial or Culinary matcha
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 egg whites, room temp
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 slice watermelon
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint strawberries
- Sliced almonds
- Optional: dried petals
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place parchment paper on bottom of a 5-inch spring form pan.
- Beat eggs, powdered sugar, and almond flour on low-med until pale yellow.
- Mix in matcha and flour. Transfer to another bowl and wipe the mixer bowl clean.
- Whip egg whites and cream of tartar on low. Add sugar and whip on high until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg white mix and matcha cake mix together gently until all incorporated.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 30-40 mins.
- At 20 mins, you make need to foil the top because it will brown easily. Test with skewer to make sure it’s fully baked.
- Once out of the oven, immediately flip over on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely in it's pan.
- While you're waiting for your cake to cool, cut a 5 inch watermelon slice about 1-1.5cm thick. Sprinkle both sides with ~1 tablespoon of sugar and allow it to macerate on a rack for 30 mins.
- Mix heavy whipping cream, sugar and both extracts on high until stiff (but not too long that it separates). Set aside.
- Once cooled, place in the freezer for 10 mins, so it is easier to slice in half.
- Slice cake in half, into two layers.
- Spread frosting on first layer of cake (cut side up). Sprinkle almond meal over it (absorbs extra watermelon juice). Pat watermelon layer with kitchen towel and place over frosting. Sprinkle almond meal over watermelon and then spread more frosting over it. Top with final layer and more frosting.
- Refrigerate cake for 1-2 hours to firm up. Cut up strawberries into quarters and halves. Decorate cake with sliced strawberries, sliced almonds and petals.