Recipe contributed by our friend Miss Hangry Pants.
Matcha Portuguese Egg Tarts (Makes 12)
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 scoops of PANATEA Ceremonial or Culinary matcha
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- Thaw out puff pastry. This will take about 30mins.
- Whisk sugar, flour, matcha and half and half in a small pot.
- Whisk egg yolks and egg in a separate small bowl.
- Put the small pot on medium heat and keep whisking until it gets warm (not hot!).
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the mixture into the egg mixture and slowly whisk the eggs into the pot. Take off heat and let the custard cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly flour a surface and unfold puff pastry. If it cracks, leave it to thaw more. Cut pastry in half lengthwise (long rectangles) and stack halves on top of each other. Start from one long end and roll up tightly.
- Rolled up dough should be exactly 12 cm wide. Indent dough each centimeter and slice into 12 even slices.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll out dough into 5-6" circles. Press each into a muffin tin hole and press in folds to make it even.
- Pour custard through a sieve into another bowl to make it smooth and then into prepared shells (about 3/4 high).
- Bake for 13-16 mins or until pastry is golden and the classic burnt sugar spots appear.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and transfer to wire rack. Serve warm or cold. Can keep in fridge for few days.