Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies, but collagen production slows down as we age. Adding collagen to your diet can provide a lot of surprising benefits:
Improved Skin and Hair Health
Your skin needs collagen like whoa. Higher collagen levels can help firm, smooth, and repair skin. Improving your skin’s elasticity with collagen also reduces dimpling on your skin (read: cellulite).
Reduced Joint Pains and Degeneration
Think of collagen as greasing the creaky hinges of your body. When we lose collagen with age, our tendons and ligaments don’t move as easily, leading to stiffness and swollen joints. Collagen helps us move more easily.
Help w/ a Leaky Gut
Collagen is known to help break down proteins and soothes the gut’s lining, heal damaged cell walls and infuse it with amino acids.
Increased Metabolism, Muscle Mass & Energy Output
Consuming collagen may boost metabolism by adding lean muscle mass to your body, which in turn helps convert nutrients to energy.
So how do you get more collagen? Try our new favorite latte!
COCONUT MATCHA LATTE w/ COLLAGEN
2 tablespoons collagen peptides (from fish*)
1 scoop of PANATEA Ceremonial Grade matcha
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup water
*Fish collagen is much more bioavailable than bovine or porcine collagen. It’s made from the waste products of fish, like bones, so its production has a minimal environmental impact. Our bodies absorb fish collagen more readily than other types of collagen too!
- If you have an automatic electric frother, get the milk started now. If you're doing it by hand, set the milk aside as is.
- Scoop matcha into a medium bowl and use a bamboo whisk to break up the powder.
- Heat water (it doesn't need to boil).
- Pour hot water over the powder and vigorously move the whisk in "M" and "W" shapes by hand. Make sure the powder has dissolved completely for a smooth tea.
- Pour the green tea into a serving mug or mugs (split into two as shown, but you could pick a larger mug and serve for one).
- Add the collagen and stir until completely dissolved.
- Froth the milk by hand, or use frothed milk from step 1. Once ready, pour the thick coconut milk over top.
Astorino, Dominique. "The Collagen Trend: Why These Supplements Matter For Exercise and Health." POPSUGAR Fitness. July 10, 2016. Accessed January 24, 2017. http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Collagen-Supplement-Benefits-41908376.
"What is Collagen? 7 Ways Collagen Can Boost Your Health." Dr. Axe. December 23, 2016. Accessed January 24, 2017. https://draxe.com/what-is-collagen/.
Photo Cred: MakingThymeForHealth