The bamboo whisk is one of the most essential (and fun!) components of the frothing process. It's the yin to matcha's yang. It's the Robin to matcha's Batman. It's the Gavin to matcha's Gwen (sorry Gavin). You get the point!
We all therefore need to take great care of our whisks to maintain their natural beauty, strength and flexibility. Here are 4 best practices:
Clean your whisk before the first use:
- Fill a bowl with cold water.
- Let the bamboo prongs soak in the water for 1-3 minutes.
- "Whisk the whisk" back and forth in the water for about 1 minute.
Clean your whisk after each matcha preparation:
- Run the bamboo prongs under cold water for a few seconds.
- Run your fingers between the prongs to clean off any remaining matcha particles, if necessary.
- Gently pat the prongs down with a paper towel.
- Place the whisk face up to let the prongs dry in the open air.
- After drying, feel free to display the whisk on a celadon whisk holder to maintain its structure.
Never store your whisk in the plastic container that it's sold in:
- It will get very yucky, very fast.
Replace your whisk with a new one every 2-3 months (if you're using it everyday):
- You think your wrist is tired from frothing? Imagine how the whisk feels!